Time and Place

 

I was concerned about this post because it will look very different from my peers. Unfortunately, I cannot join for the first half of this trip and have missed many of the shared learning experiences in Morocco. My perception of the culture and common identities found in Morocco are based on readings and the experiences shared by my peers.

My initial thought was that I could not connect with an identity different from mine that is also related to Morocco. However, I started seeing pictures and reading about others’ experiences in Morocco, and I imagined a conversation with a small-scale farmer in Morocco. My imaginary friend sat down with me and told me stories about his family, friends, and heritage. Our conversation was full of laughs and small jokes, and even though it seemed like only minutes had passed, it had been hours. We did not fret about the length of our conversation yet thanked each other for making the time more valuable.

As I read about Morocco, I noticed the difference in time and commitment to relationships. As I write from a different time and place, I am reminded that this simple blog post is a way to build relationships. I am writing to myself, my professor, and my peers. As your identities are being realized by being present in a foreign place, mine is realized through readings. Even from miles, many miles away, I am reminded by the Moroccan culture to be present in the time and places that I currently exist. I resonate with the Moroccan quote, “One has all the necessary time to make it in life,” because it reminds me to appreciate the time I have and truly value the time I spend with each person I meet (Mohamed Chtatou - Morocco World News).

 

Reference:

Mohamed Chtatou - Morocco World News. (n.d.). Moroccans and the notion of time. https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/. Retrieved May 18, 2022, from https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2017/10/231857/moroccans-notion-time-morocco

Comments

  1. Akilah, my friend, how I cannot wait for you to arrive and enjoy the imaginary friend you are describing. From my experience, even in the short period of time that you will be joining us your time will be filled with experiences that are so new, explorative and mind tingling that you be soaking in every sight, smell, taste and sound. Yesterday, after visiting the Medina for a shopping and life experience we were looking through pictures and said “oh we did that this morning.” From the farm to the medina to a religious celebration to conversations with my wonderful roomie, Lauren, time has been making this life rich here. When you arrive you will see that sharing, caring and welcoming is part of the culture. Journey Beyond Travel describes how Moroccans are welcoming, “Moroccans are a very welcoming and tolerant people towards different cultures, ideas and ways of life.” I appreciate this because they have a very strong belief system but are able to embrace other ways of thinking and doing. It made me thinking ab lot a question Dr. Anderson posed and I followed up with my smaller group, how do you embrace diversity as a way of being inclusive and accepting? You will be scooped up not only into the group but also into the excitement space of curiosity and learning. Based on my experiences with you, you bring curiosity, joy and positivity as part of your presence. This culture will embrace you and your experiences will be beyond what you imagine.

    https://www.journeybeyondtravel.com/morocco/culture-etiquette

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who Am I? Think Again. Exploring Authentic Identities

Culture: Young Entrepreneurs in Morocco

Blog Post 1