Social Status: Language

While being in Morocco I have observed that most of the workers we encounter speak many languages including their native language, French, English and/or Spanish. For example, Marco, the waiter in Rabat, spoke multiple languages, and he was able to speak to most of the guests in the room. He definitely made my meals by talking and asking how I was doing it. He was able to connect with me even though English was most likely not his first language. Furthermore, the guy at the tannery in Fez was showing us where they dyed the animal fur, and he stated that he used to do that until he learned English. He went on to say that if workers do not know English they will stay dying animal fur because they cannot communicate and make sells to a good portion of the tourists that come through. A problem is the ability to find resources to learn another language, so that impacts your stats within a business. 


English is in high demand, and people will not be selected by large employers, (Badr, 2019). English allows people to converse with more people globally. People have to decide to get on the balcony (Heifetz, 2002). They have to self-reflect and decide if they are happy with the job they have or learn more languages in order to get a better job or get a promotion with their current employers. Sometimes it is hard to get on the balcony and self-reflect because some people are comfortable where they are.



Reference:

Badr Hmimssa - Morocco World News. (2019, April 13). Why Everyone Should Learn More Than One Language. Https://Www.Moroccoworldnews.Com/. https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2019/04/270442/opinion-everyone-language-morocco

Heifetz, R., Heifetz, R. A., & Linsky, M. (2002). Leadership on the line: Staying alive through the dangers of leading. Harvard Business Press.

Comments

  1. I loved reading your post. I have found it so impressive that most people have spoken multiple different languages! Not just one or two but like four or five! I can't help but compare the multilingual nature of Moroccans to the dependence most Americans have on English- and English alone. I agree that without the knowledge of how to speak English as a Moroccan, your social ability is restricted. It makes me wonder if that is the case for other countries with multiple languages. And how exactly has English as a world language impacted people that only know native languages? It is upsetting to think about how a dominant, new world language alone can negatively impact an entire group's social status.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how so many people here speak so many different languages. It makes me sad that in America we do not place as much of an importance on learning more! I feel that America as a whole is a little arrogant in thinking English is the universal language. I looked up how many people speak multiple languages in Morocco, and this came up; “According to a 2012 study by the Government of Spain, 98% of Moroccans spoke Moroccan Arabic, 63% spoke French, 26% Berber, 14% spoke English, and 10% spoke Spanish” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Morocco). I hope one day I will be able to speak another language!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your points about language. It was amazing to see how many people spoke their native languages while also knowing pretty good English. It is truly an amazing thing to see. It makes me wish that I invested in myself by learning another language when i was a kid. Although, it is never too late to pick up a new language.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who Am I? Think Again. Exploring Authentic Identities

Culture: Young Entrepreneurs in Morocco

Blog Post 1