I Like Your Christ...

 


For perhaps the first time, I am actually experiencing a small piece of the “art” Hetain Patel discussed in our very first Blog prompt. While I am not trying to imitate the Islamic faith and becoming more like my authentic self in failing to be Muslim, I do think experiencing other religions helps solidify your own beliefs. I have enjoyed some of the conversations with my peers on this trip regarding spiritual beliefs. Religion is one of those topics that definitely presents an opportunity for conflict. I think it is easy to see an “in-group” and “out-group” perspective where religions are concerned. According to Homan and Jehn (2010), the “in-group versus out-group distinction can in turn instigate intergroup bias, which manifests in low trust and dislike between the subgroups” (p. 90). “Xenophobia is the general fear or hatred of those who are considered to be in a different group than one’s own” (Pittinsky, 2010, p. 125).

Speaking from my own experiences, being raised in rural America’s Bible Belt, many Christians are closed minded and opposed to any other belief system. I think an insecurity in their own faith leads them to have a biased fear of other religions. Of course, having lived through September 11, 2001, and known many Veterans who have served in the War on Terrorism, I understand how they may feel a type of fear. What I really dislike, though, is the idea that this xenophobia is most often not justified in a precise interaction. Unfortunately, people from my religion (and others) tend to generalize and stereotype people who are different. I have really struggled with this in my life, not only with religions but with topics of sin. The older generation who fought in World War II (my grandfather) thought all “Japs” were out to kill us. However, I have met some of the nicest and most generous people in Japan. Folks think that American “Indians” are all savages. Yet, some of my most meaningful interactions in life have been with Natives. I know people who say all “towel heads” are terrorists. Now, I have met wonderful people who are Muslim. For me, when people start speaking in absolutes, it raises a red flag.

Personally, I identify as Christian. I was excited to travel to an Islamic country for the first time on this trip and form my own opinions of the religion. So far, I have witnessed more similarities than differences. There are five pillars of Islam, which I have identified below with a relatable Christian aspect.

1.   1. Shahada – Profession of Faith. Muslims believe there is only one God and that the Qur’an is the Holy Book. Christians also profess their faith in the Holy Trinity and that the Bible is the Living Word.

     2. Salat – Prayer. Muslims prayer five times a day facing Mecca. Christians are called to pray without ceasing. While Christian do prayer formerly in worship services, I think the biggest difference is the act in which each group prayers.

3.    3. Zakat – Alms. Muslims all donate to help the less fortunate. This is no different than the offerings collected in churches across the globe. Christians are called to share 10%.

4.    4. Sawm – Fasting. Muslims fast during the daylight hours of Ramadan. While many Christian denominations do not participate in any type of fasting or “sacrifice” so to speak, this reminds me of Lent (the 40 days before Easter). I have actually fasted for Lent before.

5.    5. Hajj – Pilgrimage. While I have never made an actual pilgrimage, this reminds me of the journey of faith all Christians travel as we progress towards our heavenly home. Also, the Walk of Emmaus came to mind when reading about the journey Muslims take to the holy city of Mecca.

As I talked with Cora one night on my thoughts of Christianity, I shared that I think part of the beauty faith brings is the great mystery. And who am I to say the Muslim Allah is not also the Christian God? I do not have the authority to judge someone else’s beliefs, nor do I know it all. To quote our guide Hamid, “for me God is love and there is nothing disturbing about what he says.” In my religion, God is also love. If God is love, we can live in peace. I leave you with a quote from Mahatma Gandhi that represents my interaction with my own religion…

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

References: 

Five Pillars of Islam 

Walk to Emmaus

Homan, A. C. & Jehn, K. A. (2010) Organizational faultlines. In K. Hanum, B.B. McFeeters & L. Booysen (Eds.), Leading across differences (p. 87-94). Pfieffer.  

Pittinsky, T. L. (2010) Approaches to diference: Allophilia and xenophobia. In K. Hanum, B.B. McFeeters & L. Booysen (Eds.), Leading across differences (p. 125-130). Pfieffer.  

Comments

  1. Great post. I too grew up in the rural bible belt, and have always been taught that Christianity is the only "way" and anything else is a path of sinfulness leading you straight to hell. Unfortunately, that thought process did not raise a red flag until I reached high school, where I made friends with lots of different people from me for the first time. I became aware of different cultures, different people, and backgrounds, and developed my own thoughts on religion. However this caused me to drift from my faith, specifically because of the actions and teachings of the church and "Christians" that I knew. I began to resent the concept of being a Christian, and to this day I am still working out my own spirituality and what that is for me. I really love how you said that possibly an insecurity of one's own faith may lead to a biased fear of others. I had never thought of that before, and I think that's very likely. I can confidently say that since arriving here in Morocco, I have been subconsciously addressing my own beliefs and who God is to me personally.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who Am I? Think Again. Exploring Authentic Identities

Culture: Young Entrepreneurs in Morocco

Blog Post 1