High Status Behaviors

 


I explored the concept of power in my gender roles blog. I want to continue discussing power in relation to social status. There are two types of power, positional power and personal power.  Positional power exists when a person can influence others because of having a higher status or a position of authority in an organization (Northouse, 2022).  Personal power on the other hand is when a person can influence attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors of others because they are likeable or knowledgeable.  Heifetz and Linsky (2002) discuss the dangers of power in the chapter on managing your hunger. There are examples showing how power can get into your head and be your downfall if you are not disciplined with managing the benefits and status that come with having power (Heifetz & Linsky, 2002).

Status is easy to see, the way people carry themselves and how others around them act.  We tend to show deference to people of higher status and they expect to be shown respect by those that are of less status. In many instances I have found myself yielding and giving space to important people even when there is sufficient space. Similar things can be seen with leaders and high-profile officials from high power countries - those nations where inequality in power is accepted. A president or a king will walk by people will maintain a distance to show respect. Even in low power countries, status gives power, celebrities, politicians and wealthy men and women, are given preferential treatment.
People of high status are treated differently and many of them expected to be treated differently.

This trip has served as an opportunity to improve my photography skills. I have taken pictures of everything and anything that has caught my attention. Zeinab, “the princess” as she has become to be known, asked me to take some photos of her. Because I wanted to, I did not object. I did not think too much of this because, as I’ve said, I wanted to practice taking pictures.  What started to irritate me was her insistence that I take pictures of her whenever and wherever she pleased. It did not matter that I had my own objectives, if she wanted to have a picture taken, I was obliged to do so. At the winery, Dr. Anderson and I were in the middle of talking when Zeinab came between us while handing me her phone and instructing me to take pictures of her at the pool. Language was no barrier.  There was no “excuse me” for interrupting the conversation. I found out later that she is of nobility, it was then that I made connections between her behavior and social status.

 

Heifetz, R., Heifetz, R. A., & Linsky, M. (2002). Leadership on the line: Staying alive through the dangers of leading. Harvard Business Press.

Northouse, P. G. (2021). Leadership: Theory and practice. Sage publications.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Am I? Think Again. Exploring Authentic Identities

Culture: Young Entrepreneurs in Morocco

Blog Post 1