Gender Roles and Women in the Workforce

 I read an article about Fatima, a young woman who started a cooperative to support the growing of herbs in her community. Fatima received funding from the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD). This funding and training allowed Fatima to expand her business, but the purpose of the cooperation was not just for profit. It is a way to get women in her community into the workforce. The IFAD article mentions that women needed permission from their husbands to work. Many of the husbands opposed the women working until they realized the significant amount that the women earned.

I find it very interesting that women need permission to work. It is common to have a two-income household where both women and men work here in the US. The fact that the women working with Fatima needed permission did not surprise me, but it made me realize that gender roles affect household finances and well-being. Women not being allowed to work limits the amount of income generated for a household. The social structures that inhibit women from working also limit the opportunities for economic growth.

I have always wanted to work. My mother loved to work as well. For me working is a way to provide for myself and my family. It reminds me that I have more to offer to the world and allows me to pursue my passions. If I were told that I could not work because I am a woman, I would be heartbroken. The realization that this is the reality for many women is heartbreaking. I am grateful for the trailblazing women who came before me to fight for the right to work and establish equality. I know that Morocco is working to change, and changing mindsets is not easy, but I am thankful for organizations such as IFAD that support these women and aid in their fight for the right to work.


References:

The Red Gold of Azilal: How thyme and saffron empower women in Morocco's high atlas. IFAD. (n.d.). Retrieved May 22, 2022, from https://www.ifad.org/en/web/latest/-/story/the-red-gold-of-azilal-how-thyme-and-saffron-empower-women-in-morocco-s-high-atlas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Am I? Think Again. Exploring Authentic Identities

Culture: Young Entrepreneurs in Morocco

Blog Post 1